We are 45north - Paul S, bass - Jean, trumpet - Ralph, sax - Paul A, trombone - Bill, drums - David Miller, piano [photo to be added]
and, in case you're wondering how we got the band name, scroll to the bottom...
It is with great sadness that we note the passing of Paul O'Connor. Wonderful musician and great person.
A part of 45north from the start and he will be greatly missed.
This is a recording we did some years ago with Paul on keys and soloing on this tune written by David Restivo
01 Little Sunflower excerpt.mp3
Until recently I was on baritone sax in the nonet 'Alternate Takes' and we released our 2nd CD at our concert at Merrickville's Jazz Fest in Oct 2018 - the tune above is an excerpt from the first track on that CD, Little Sunflower
You can purchase copies of Alternate Takes CD 'Urban Flower' by contacting me
- recordings of 45north below -
45north band is a 6-piece band - trumpet, sax, trombone, piano, bass and drums. We perform a varied repertoire of great instrumental jazz tunes, many by Canadian artists. Some of our arrangements are done by us, Jean Trudel has done many, or by others in some cases specifically for 45north. For Canada's 150th celebrations in 2017 we added a group of tunes to our repertoire that were non-jazz tunes but all by Canadians. We have now reverted back to our all jazz repertoire, a short list is below, and we are now adding a number of original tunes as we continue to refine our book. Our tunes tend to be lyrical and melody driven and thus accessible both to jazz audiences and non-jazz audiences alike.
Contact Ralph Hopper for booking information or inquiries: email phone: cell: 613-882-8464
45north is: Ralph Hopper, saxes; Jean Trudel, trumpet/flugel; Paul Adjeleian, trombone; David Miller, keyboards; Paul Soble, bass; Bill Brown, drums
A sample listing of tunes by Canadian artists that form the core of our repertoire:
- Dissfunktion by Manteca
- Honeydew Harbour by David Restivo [Toronto]
- Fissure, Mistaken Convergence and Other Fascination by Nick MacLean [Snaggle - Toronto]
- Cowboy Bebop and The Work Song by David Braid [Toronto]
- Stanstill and Sonny's Way by Mike Murley [Toronto]
- Blue Jeans and LeBreton Flats by Rob Lussier [Ottawa]
- Blue Jade by Joe Sealy [Toronto]
- Intrada by Alan Matheson [Vancouver]
- Jazz Dance by Paul Novotny [Toronto]
- In The Blues Garden and Sundown Comin' and Swamp Gator Crawl by Bill King [Toronto]
- Search Warrant and Mr. Hitchens by Cameron Wallis - Montreal Hard Bop 5
- Signal to Noise and Dimpled Chad by Jean Trudel
- Eight By Eight and Green's 'N Blues by Ralph Hopper
- Let's Go by Tilden Webb and Cory Weeds [Vancouver]
- The Pour by Ross Taggart and Cory Weeds [Vancouver]
- Open Season by Brian Dickinson
- Ubiquitous by Neil Swainson
- Cedar by Brad Turner
- Spies and Merge by Dave Robbins
- Number Nine by Larry Graves
- Some non-Canadian tunes
- Gypsy Blue and Open Sesame by Tina Brooks
- Five Spot After Dark by Benny Golson
- Alter Ego by James Williams
- Chant for Bu by Mickey Bass
- Hand of Love by Paul Chambers
- Sudel and Big Bertha by Duke Pearson
- Ale House Rock by Rick Hirsch
- Line For Lyons and Festive Minor and Soft Shoe by Gerry Mulligan
- Manaus by John Fedchock
- I Found You, Optimism by Steve Davis [One For All]
- All For One, Blues for All by Eric Alexander [One For All]
- Gregory Is Here, Soulville, Sayonara Blues, Pretty Eyes by Horace Silver
- Blues for T.H. and Nice Groove and Tears Forever by Reed Kotler [arr by Bobby Shew]
- Samba Cya by Gordon Goodwin
- Dance of Denial by Michael Philip
- November Afternoon by Tom McIntosh [Jazztet]
- Totem Pole and Speedball by Lee Morgan
- Wahoo and Sudel by Duke Pearson
- Three In One by Wayne Wallace
45north is available for corporate and convention bookings. Concert or background live jazz for your event.
Click here to contact me for information, available dates and rates.
Upcoming gigs: 2023:
Check back for gigs being booked during 2023
Email me for information
A few of our recent gigs:
2022 - as we returned to some live venues after covid
November 25, Montgomery Scotch Lounge, 750 Gladstone Ave.
July 21, 2022, Montgomery Scotch Lounge, 750 Gladstone Ave. We are delighted to be playing a live gig again!
May 5, 2019, Industria Pizzeria + Bar
Apr 27, 2019, Fatboys Southern Smokehouse
June 26, 2018, Ottawa Jazz Festival, this was a one hour set in Confederation Park - oooohhh was that a hot day! Loved it and the audience was great.
July 1, 2018,Canada Day celebrations in Merrickville. Again, soooooo hot but a great time. Thanks Merrickville
45north performed the opening concert at Merrickville's Jazz Fest on Oct 12. We performed an all Canadian jazz set
May 20, we played at Greenfields Gastro Pub, Barrhaven
April 1, great time at Fatboys once again. A couple of photos below...
December 20, we played at the Rainbow Bistro, Murray St
December 17, we played at Fatboys Smokehouse, Murray St
Dec 11, we played at the Record Centre, Wellington St - see review below...
Sept - Les Brasseurs du Temps - we had a great time playing to a full house
Two tracks that we recorded during the covid lockdown times in 2021.
Search Warrant by Cameron Wallis [HB5, Montreal]
Open Season by Brian Dickinson
Open Season performed by 45north.mp3
Gypsy Blue QSF Nov 30 2022 web.MP3
Gypsy Blue, a tune by Tina Brooks that was recorded during our Nov 30, 2022 gig at Queen Street Fare/Bar Robo.
Wahoo QSF Nov 30 2022 edit.MP3
Wahoo is a tune by Duke Pearson recorded live at Queen Street Fare/Bar Robo Nov 30, 2022
Here's a photo and mp3 clip from our gig at Montgomery Scotch Lounge, July 21 - many thanks to Shinya Sato for sitting in on keys
This is In The Blues Garden, written by Bill King
MSL July 21 2022 In The Blues Garden edit for web site.MP3
We were in the studio recording some demo tracks in March 2017 and the results are posted here. LeBreton Flats now posted along with a short version [no solos] of Dissfunktion by Manteca and Honeydew Harbour by David Restivo, a tune on his excellent recent CD 'The Waves' - also Work Song, a tune written by David Braid .
Here's the recordings we have. 'LeBreton Flats' is a full length version from our recording session in March 2017 - a tune written by Rob Lussier. The others here include short versions of 45north performing 'Blue Jeans', another tune written by Rob Lussier who is from Ottawa; 'Honeydew Harbour' a wonderful grooving tune by David Restivo; 'Dissfunktion', by Manteca from their CD 'Onward'; 'Work Song' is by David Braid. 'Stanstill' is a Mike Murley tune .
Blue Jade [Joe Sealy] an off the floor recording from our gig at Fatboys in April 2019
LeBreton Flats performed by 45north band.mp3
Honeydew Harbour full mix.mp3
Dissfunktion performed by 45north.mp3
Work Song performed by 45north.mp3
Blue Jeans performed by 45north .mp3
Stanstill performed by 45north in head.MP3
Our gig at BDT, Sept 2016
45north at Fatboys Smokehouse, April, 2017
Here are a few short clips to give you an idea about other tunes we play - these are not us but we will have our own recordings posted as soon as we can.
Blue Jade short edit Paul Novotny & Joe Sealy.mp3
Fissure by Snaggle.mp3
Intrada by Alan Matheson short edit.mp3
Alter Ego short edit Roy Hargrove.mp3
Here's a few photos from our recording session March 23, 2017. Photos by Albert Kaprielian
[right] Photo and video from our June 26 2018 Ottawa Jazz Festival. Video by Albert Kaprielian
Ralph Hopper, Ottawa, Ontario, K4C1B8
THE BANDNAME - 45north
Ottawa [city hall] lies at Latitude 45.42N and Longitude 75.69W - so, being based in Ottawa we shortened that up a bit and decided 45north worked as our band name
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1J1